Friday, September 26, 2014

Digital Footprint - Freshmen Presentation

Today I had the opportunity to speak to the entire freshmen class about their Digital Footprint. The purpose of the presentation was to address The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of using social media. I started the presentation with focusing on all of the good things Nashoba is doing online.  I highlighted the our Athletic Director @nashobaAD and school newspaper The Chieftain Press @Chieftain_Chat.  I then moved on "The Bad" and talked about our unpleasant experience with Yik Yak last week but show the positive tweets that were sent out to show that does not represent our school.  Lastly I moved on the "The Ugly" discussing Sexting and other bad choices that students sometimes make.  I wanted to make sure students were aware of the consequences of their actions.  Our school resource officer addressed the students along with a representative for the Worcester DA's office.  When preparing for the presentation I struggled.  I didn't want to lecture on the evil of social media.  I use social media as an educator and wanted students to see the value of contributing to the Nashoba Community.  At the same time, I wanted to make they realized there are legal consequences for bad choices.  The students were a great audience and hopefully the presentation gave them something to think about.  Here is the link to Prezi Presentation  and published below.




No comments: