Monday, December 17, 2018

Saying Goodbye and remembering a colleague

This post is for a colleague of mine that passed away this weekend. Kathy McHale was a French teacher in my high school and I had the privilege of working with her, traveling with her and being a friend. I've been thing Kathy today and remembering her classes and our travelling adventures.  I searched my blog today for a post I did about Kathy and her students.  Several years ago I came across a video contest by The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL).  Kathy decided to enter her french III students in the contest.  The theme "Why I am a 21st Century Learner" they created Students Rap ‘Round the World video https://vimeo.com/18011416

Local newspapers covered the story. Here is the article link from the Stow Independent by our friend Ann Needle. There was a cash award for the contest and with Kathy, there always a reason to travel and celebrate!  She took the group of students to french restaurant in Boston to celebrate their success and extended the invitation to me, the principal and other colleagues that helped with the contest.  She always took the time to celebrate and find an adventure. Later that spring I had privilege to travel to Greece with her and some of my friends. Kathy was welcoming and made the trip so memorable, I signed up for a few more trips.

I am shocked and saddened by Kathy's passing, but I am so happy we captured one of her teaching stories in this blog and I can take the time to reflect on a teacher that loved teaching, Nashoba, her students and friends.  She will be missed.

No comments: