Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Learning about Google Drive and thinking about Google

Earlier this week when I logged into Google I noticed Docs was replaced with Google Drive/Docs that was announced last week. Google Drive  is a place where you can create, share, collaborate, and keep all of your stuff. You can upload and access all of your files, including videos, photos, Google Docs, PDFs and beyond. 

Drive is built to work seamlessly with your overall Google experience. In my personal, google account, I can can attach photos from Drive to posts in Google+. I am interested in testing out some of the new features with students this month with our school 's google apps.

Yesterday, at a Integrity by CELT session, I had the change to see Jaime Casap  a  Senior Education Evangelist on the Google Apps for Education Team at Google, Inc.  In his role, he evangelizes the power of technology and the use of Google tools to help students build the skills needed to succeed, close the digital divide, and help level the education playing field.  His presentation "The Future of Technology in Education" His presentation was informative and inspiring.  I tweeted out many of his quotes during his session.

The big question:  How is the technology helping us in schools build the skills we need
- we all agree technology can be useful, we need to utilize it
Great teachers, expectations, motivating factors, and content are still the keys
- technology just enables this
He was very concerned about the fear we have about technologies in our schools
- when my kids were born I taught them how to cross the street. I didn’t try to ban cars.
- how are we teaching our kids to cross the digital street?
- we need to teach our kids how not only to be digital citizens but to be digital leaders

I continue to be so impressed with Google, their support of education and teachers and their view of aligning education with jobs of the future.  So much to think about!

No comments: